No Conversion? No Problem with Behavioural Retargeting Marketing

On average, only 2% of visitors to an online store will make a purchase on that visit. So what happens to the other 98%. For many businesses, these visitors are lost – never to return. Retargeting (referred to as remarketing by Google) is designed to improve those conversion statistics by ensuring that your advertising message follows your prospective customer around the internet, building your brand identity while reminding them of what they are missing out on.

When you browse a company’s products or services only to find the same company popping up on another website two day’s later – that’s remarketing in action. 360 Spin can take you through the process of setting up a targeted remarketing campaign of your own, keeping you in touch with those customers you worked so hard to attract in the first place. We can also help you to design an overall digital strategy to combine the best of SEO, search, display and social advertising and retargeting.

How Retargeting Works

Site retargeting works by setting up a piece of harmless code (called a pixel or tag) on your webpages. These generate cookies, small bits of anonymous data that are stored on a visitor’s web browser (no personally identifiable information is stored). When the visitor turns up, at a future point in time, on a webpage that is part of your retargeting provider’s network (served by an ad exchange), the stored cookie will alert your retargeter of their presence and previous visit. Providing ad space is available, your ad will then be served to your former site visitor, jogging their memory and increasing the likelihood that they will purchase from you or complete the desired action this time around.

Other forms of retargeting include:

  • Email retargeting
  • Link retargeting
  • Search retargeting
  • CRM retargeting

Retargeting can be charged on a pay-per-click (PPC) basis or at a flat rate based on the number of times an ad is served. Alternatively, some online marketers opt for a remarketing service that only charges if a specific action (e.g. a sale or a video view) is performed.

Retargeting is most effective when products or services can be carefully segmented to fine-tune ads based on narrow online behaviours (e.g. a customer looking at a specific product or niche category – like white trainers or diamond earrings). 360 Spin will help you to choose which type of remarketing strategy would best suit your business or organisation.

Retargeting vs Standard PPC

360 Spin are happy to provide a free consultation to determine whether retargeting would be feasible and cost-effective for your particular circumstances. Retargeting has many advantages over standard PPC, including:

  • Generally lower cost-per-click (CPC) due to the use of more affordable advertising platforms (e.g. display networks)
  • Higher click-through-rate (CTR). Those visitors who decided not to click an advertisement previously may be in a different frame of mind the next time and hit the mouse button. This will push up the ad’s CTR rate.
  • Higher ROI. Recapturing visitors who have already shown an interest in your site is far more likely to result in a conversion than continually pursuing new leads. As your cost per acquisition goes down, so your ROI – the business gold standard – will rise.

Getting Started with Retargeting

To get the ball rolling and stem the loss of customers to your competitors, we urge you to give 360 Spin a call today on 0161 610 9360. We will quickly be able to assess your current online marketing strategy and advise whether remarketing is likely to benefit your bottom line.